Friday, January 18, 2008

ouch

limped to see the gp at the next block this morning.

my first toe joint is swollen and it has progressively gotten worse from the first signs of trouble on wednesday. it wasn't some gungho injury from sports or gym. neither was it a result of a swipe at an offending furniture in the dark at home.

so what happened?

i couldn't remember any trauma to the right foot. with all external factors eliminated, it only left me with the dreaded 4-letter 'g' word - gout.

a condition that results from crystals of uric acid depositing in tissues of the body. it is characterised by an overload of uric acid in the body and recurring attacks of joint inflammation. info from here.

how do i know about this condition? well, johann has it and had described the symptoms to me previously. just that i didn't know it can be SO painful.

and i can't remember how many times i've cursed under my breath when trying to move my right foot even a tiny fraction of an inch. yes, it has become so sensitive that even the slightest movement is traumatic not to mention touching it.

my foot became so tender and painful that putting it under my quilt is unbearable. needless to say, sleep was affected.

that was how i ended at the vista family clinic this morning. i would have been here last night had it been opened.

just as expected, the gp's diagnosis confirmed my suspicions. had a blood test to check my uric acid level, the result will be out tomorrow. meanwhile, anti-inflammatory medication and painkillers were prescribed together with advice to stay hydrated and a list of food to abstain and avoid.

btw, johann was spot-on when he said the elderly uncle was streaking ahead of him while he was shuffling along miserably the time he had an attack.

it happened to me too. :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My frend ... welcome to the club :)

Tips : keep the medicine with you ... the first sign of tingle start popping the pills. Cochocine is what you need.

Johann

my said...

wah liao... it's not the type of club that i want to join leh... :P