Monday, February 13, 2006

in-camp training

today’s the 1st day of my ict, had a hard time booking for a cab in the morning. took me more than 10 minutes to secure one.

for the 1st time in my life, i thought i wouldn’t make it for my ict. not because i’m late or anything but the cab driver was falling asleep at the wheel! horrors!

i was already suspicious when the cab was cruising along pie, i thought i saw his eyes shutting but i wasn’t sure since he was driving straight, still. he wasn’t straying into the next lane so i didn’t bother about him.

the ride became more exciting after the “runway” stretch, that’s quite near my camp and there’s only 1 lane on each way. the on-coming taxi’s horn brought my attention immediately back to the traffic ahead. my cab was already 3-quarter way into the opposite lane!

my sleepy driver had to swerve back into our own lane to avoid the taxi and the on-coming traffic. gosh, reporting for ict had never been so exhilarating.

this time round, i shared the bunk at 4-8 with koh hy, vincent, daniel and lam jm. that’s 1 thing about workshop platoon, it’s so big such that every time i’m back for ict, i usually bunk in with different guys. it’s always interesting to get to know new people that way.

koh, i already knew him way back during my nsf times. the other 3 guys i’m not so familiar with. one of them is a branch manager of a foreign bank, another deals with smes at a statutory board while the last is doing sales in a pharmaceutical company.

that’s ns for you, where people of vastly different backgrounds are thrown together for better or for worse. to me, it’s a great opportunity to get to know about other people’s jobs and companies. for others, it’s a chance to network.

No comments: